Purpose of Post
1 To provide a high standard of physical, emotional, social and intellectual care for children placed in the Setting;
2 To give support to other personnel within the Setting;
3 To implement the daily routine in the base room.
- Work with Children;
- Team Work;
- Liaise with Parents/carers.
Line Management Responsibilities
Supervision of Trainees/ Modern Apprenticeships and Nursery Assistants as required by Manager/Deputy Manager
- Operate a programme of activities suitable to the age range of children in your area in conjunction with other staff;
- To keep a proper record of achievement file on your key children, for parents/carers;
- Work with parents/carers of special needs children to give full integration in the Setting;
- Support all staff and engage in a good staff team;
- Liaise with and support parents/carers and other family members;
- To be involved in out of working hours activities, e.g. training, monthly staff meetings,
- To be flexible within working practices of the Setting. Be prepared to help where needed, including to undertake certain domestic jobs within the Setting, e.g. preparation of snack meals, cleansing of equipment etc.;
- Work alongside the manager and staff team to ensure that the philosophy behind the project is fulfilled;
- Recording accidents in the accident book. Ensure the manager has initialled the report before the parent receives it;
- Look upon the Setting as a “whole” where can your help be most utilised, be constantly aware of the needs of children;
- Ensure child is collected by someone known to Setting;
- To respect the confidentiality of information received;
- To develop your role within the team especially with regard as a key worker;
- Specific Child Care Tasks:
- The preparation and completion of activities to suit the child’s stage of development;
- To ensure that mealtimes are a time of pleasant social sharing;
- Washing and changing children as required;
- Providing comfort and warmth to an ill child;
- To ensure the Setting of a high quality environment to meet the needs of individual children from differing cultures and religious backgrounds, and stages of development;
- To be aware of the high profile of the Setting and to uphold its standards at all times.
- To actively promote and support the safeguarding of children and young people in the workplace, ensuring Setting policies and procedures are observed at all times.
- To ensure that the environment is clean and conducive for the children at all times.
- Any other assignments the manager might want you to do.
Nursery Nurse – Person Specification:
|Skills, aptitude, knowledge and experience:
Previous experience of caring for, or working with children aged 0-5 in a voluntary or paid capacity
An understanding of the Early Learning GoalsKnowledge of the National Standards for the regulation of Childcare provision
A commitment to the provision of high quality childcare
A positive approach to learning and gaining new skills through teamwork and training opportunities
| Interest in the care, learning and development of young children
An understanding of the Foundation Stage curriculum
Good organisational, record keeping and planning skills
Excellent communication skills, with children, colleagues, advisors and parents/carers/carers.
Patience / Empathy with children, colleagues and parents/carers/carersReliability and trustworthiness
A positive approach to inclusive practice with children and colleagues
Enthusiasm for working with young children
|Flexibility – occasionally working hours might be changed, e.g. if the setting hosts a Parent’s EveningAble to work in small teams
|Qualifications Completion of a recognised Level 3 Childcare qualification, e.g. Level 3 Certificate for the Children & Young People’s Workforce, NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development A positive approach to gaining further qualifications
Some understanding of the importance of Health & Safety and Food Hygiene in the workplace
| Completion of a recognised Level 3 Childcare qualification, e.g. Level 3 Diploma for the Children & Young People’s Workforce, NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development – or be working towards completion
Completion of Safeguarding Awareness course (Group 2)Health & Safety certificate
First Aid certificate
Completion of other relevant courses